Welling United 2-1 Cheshunt | This Is Local London

Tyrique Hyde and Ade Azeez scored the goals that helped Welling United to their first league win of the season at the expense of Cheshunt.

Whilst they had also both scored in Welling’s previous match, they will have got far more satisfaction in doubling their season’s tally in a victory.

Warren Feeney only made one change from the previous game, replacing Medy Elito with Ashley Nzala to give the midfield more width, and they also looked far more secure at the back as the back four continue to gel.

Preston Edwards was the first goalkeeper to be called into action when diving low to his left to save from Welling captain James Dunne.

Jamie Reynolds made a mess of a half chance at the other end but Welling threatened again when Tom Dickens crossed for Azeez to knock back but Edwards got down to save from Stefan Payne.

Joe Re twice shot over for the visitors before Nzala drew another save out of Edwards.

Just over ten first half minutes remained when Welling went ahead. Dunne sent Taylor Maloney away down the left wing. He checked and played it back to Hyde, He, in turn, clipped a cross-field pass out to Nzala who tried to find Azeez. Although he couldn’t get a shot away, it fell to Hyde who fired into the bottom corner from the edge of the penalty area.

Taofiq Olomowewe headed just wide from a corner before the Wings increased their lead. More slick passing in midfield allowed Hyde to send Dickens away down the left and his slanted low cross invited Azeez to finish and he made no mistake.

One negative in Welling’s performance was that they couldn’t hold their two goal lead for the four remaining minutes in the first half. A needless foul was followed by poor defending out wide allowing the tricky Dajon Golding to get a cross away and former Wing, Rowan Liburd, headed home from close range.

After the interval, Maloney had a shot blocked over and Manny Parry was threatened by a brilliant save by Edwards.

Myles Roberts made a straight-forward save from Reynolds before Golding cut in from the left and hit a shot that came back off the near post.

That was as near as the Ambers came to leveling as twenty minutes into the half, they were reduced to ten men. Edwards got himself in a pickle on the right wing as his attempted clearance was beaten infield by Nzala. Payne was first to the loose ball and, although there were defenders between him and the goal, there was no goalkeeper. As he shaped to shoot, re tripped him, making no attempt to play the ball, and was shown a red card.

From that point on, Welling were comfortable to hold on to what they had and there wasn’t another goal attempt until the last minute of stoppage time when substitute Anthony Papadopoulos shot over from a tight angle.

Welling United: Roberts, Howard, Dickens, Dunne, Olomowewe, Parry, Nzala, Hyde (Kassarate 80), Azeez (Papadopoulos 94), Payne, Maloney. Sub not used: Jackson, Elito, Francis.

London Herald